E-books have gained tremendous popularity in last few years. E-book refers to the book or journal which is in an electronic format. Probable reasons for e-books to be in vogue are the customization and portability it provides its readers at a lower price. One only needs to visit the link and download the e-version of the book then either keep it that way or get a printout. With the increasing prevalence of internet, e-book format is a boon for all those voracious readers who are always on the go and have their laptops, iPad, tablets and kindles handy. Presently, writers need to tap every possibility to catch hold of the readership as much as they can. Writers can themselves do the electronic conversion or seek professional help of online publication companies to process it. Since the time amazon has introduced kindle, the authors have an increasing audience base.
Converting your blogs, articles or content to an electronic or kindle format is easy and following tips are desirous for the writers to follow.
- Content: The very first step is to collect all the content of your book from all the possible places in the hard drive and place that to one folder. Idea is to not get confused or distracted while e-book formation.
- Editing: This one is the most important and crucial part as it requires going through the complete work all over again because electronic format is completely different in terms of font size and other word documentation. You may seek a professional help for this since it involves all the copying and pasting. Copy paste the content topic by topic and read thoroughly.
- Proofreading: Proofread every page for there should be no space for grammatical, spelling and syntax errors. Once the e-book is formed there is no chance to fix the typo errors.
- Paragraph and Line alignment: Whichever font style, paragraph and line setting is chosen once, the consistency needs to be maintained throughout the whole documentation.
- Font: Use a font style that is standard and popular among the book fraternity. Usually Times new roman font is preferred in any kind of documentation.
- Format: when it comes to e-book it is highly essential to focus on the selection of correct format. One of the professional and commonly used format is PDF easily compatible and else use MOBI format for mobile friendly e-book variants. Similarly various formats are available such as EPUB and iBook.
- Editing tools and apps: Apps and tools like Evernote, scrivener and Beacon are quite useful in formatting an e-book in terms of editing, keeping a track of previous work and new content addition. Beacon is useful in converting blogs to electronic format.
- Table of contents: The table of contents is an integral part, so make sure the pages and page numbers are correctly mentioned. Readers are only concerned about the page and not the headers or footers.
- Acknowledgements and Publication: If you wish to mention the publisher’s name, collaborations or any acknowledgements don’t take more than two pages of space. Too much specifications can hamper the reader’s interest and the sole purpose is lost.
- Cover design and images: This happens to be the most fun part designing the cover page of the e-book. Add some unique design for even e-book also deserves to be attractive. Images in the entire content should be in JPG format, edit them, avoid text wrapping and re-insert them.